Tom and I drove through the beautiful Adirondack Mountains to the charming town of Lake Placid, home to the Winter Olympics. We loved Lake Placid even though lightening knocked out power to Lake Placid and our hotel. Oh well, better then a flat tire!
St Lawrence University, Canton, NY
Notes and Impressions…
- Lovely, historic campus located in the small city of Canton.
- Well maintained and updated facilities and grounds. Lots of quads, trees in a park-like surrounding.
- Spacious library with lots of interesting study places such as a tree house.
- New and bustling student center and a great book store with a boutique.
- I was surprised to see a Caribou Coffee, the first one I have seen in New York. Then I found out the co-founder of Caribou Coffee, Kim Puckett, attended St. Lawrence.
- The campus has lots of cute houses surrounding the college that are theme houses for the students.
- Housing is guaranteed all four years with many nice options.
- Loved dining hall
- Academics attracts faculty who love to teach, help students develop their academics passions
- Environmental studies is an impressive major.
- Johnson Hall of Science meets LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Certification – meeting a stringent set of environmentally friendly and energy-efficient standards.
- Takes advantage of location by mountains. Environmental Science majors can go into public policy or field work.
- Over half of the students study abroad.
- Classic liberal arts and sciences
- Good geology, really good and unique rocks!
- Also good anthropology
- 3/2 engineering with Columbia and Clarkson
- Pre med is strong
- Pre law is strong
- 4 plus 1 MBA at many colleges
- International economics – new major
- Flexible core curriculum
- Semester system
- 40 percent accepted
- Syracuse or Ottawa airport, closest airport.
- Security will drive students to airports, also have shuttles
- 60 percent from out-of-state,
- Will start reviewing Early Decision applicants Nov. 1
- For Early Decision 2 applicants, the deadline is Jan 1 but will give students more time if they change their minds and decide to go Early Decision 2
- Test optional – want to see honors and AP classes
- They look for a student is well-rounded, curious, and likes to try new things
- Merit scholarships
- Overlaps – Hamilton, Colgate, Middelbury, U of Vermont
- Small Greek scene
- Off the beaten track creates a strong community, a bee hive
- Students love the outdoors
- Big outing club Close to Canada gives an international flair
- White Face Ski Area an hour and a half
- Other small ski areas closer by
- Weather – sunny and snowy, but not the lake snow affects which is more cloudy and drizzle
Overall, beautiful campus, impressive facility, all kinds of students would be happy here. Great location by the mountains, somewhat
isolated, but happy students. – Sue Luse