By Sue Luse
Agnes Scott is located in downtown DeCatur, Georgia, which is part of the metropolitan Atlanta area. Decatur offers eclectic shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. Atlanta is well known for being home to a large number of colleges.
Agnes Scott is an independent national liberal arts college for women and is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). If you feel you’re a “rare bird” a “wallflower” or simply prefer to “march to the beat of your own drum” while experiencing high rigor academics, you will likely find Agnes Scott very attractive. While encouraging women to think deeply and engage the economic and social challenges of their times, Agnes Scott students are taught how to successfully navigate male-dominated industries such as Science. Agnes Scott also prepares women to to handle the complexities of the business world. While academics are key, emotional and social development are intrinsic to the Agnes Scott experience. Students enjoy many social events with affiliate Atlanta and Georgia colleges. Two key benefits of attending a women’s college are the development of innate confidence and an increase in the likelihood of attending graduate school.
- 34 undergraduate majors and 31 minors
- Dual degree programs in computer science, engineering and nursing
- Popular majors include Music, Psychology, English, Economics, Biology, Nursing, and 3/2 Education
- Experiential learning opportunities in the U.S. and abroad
- Student to faculty ration is 11:1
- Cross registration with affiliate Atlanta and Georgia colleges such as Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, and Georgia State (just to name a few)
- 900 students
- Student body represents social and economic diversity
- Approximate 60% of students from Georgia
- Approximately 11% of students are international
- More than 40% of Agnes Scott students are students of color
Admissions – Class of 2015
- Enrollment 227
- 25% of class graduated in the top 5 percent of high school class
- 40% were in top 10 percent
- 71% attended public schools
- 46% acceptance rate
- Mean High School GPA: 3.67
- Middle 50% range of SAT: 1055-1260 (critical reading and mathematics only)
- Middle 50% range of ACT: 23-29
- 70% of students qualify for and receive need-based financial aid
Also unique to Agnes Scott is the option for an evaluative interview verses submitting test scores.
Comprehensive fee for ’12-’13 school year is $43,691, which includes tuition, room and board, and student activity fee.
Living on campus is central to your learning experience. First year residence halls are configured into living, learning communities. Students are grouped according to the first year seminar in which they are enrolled fostering an environment in which they live and learn together. It’s easy to make new friends and leads to an atmosphere of creative learning outside the classroom.