By Sue Luse
Located in West Lafayette, Indiana, Purdue offers more than 200 majors for undergraduates, over 70 master’s and doctoral programs, and professional degrees in pharmacy and veterinary medicine. In addition, they have 18 intercollegiate sports teams and more than 850 student organizations. West Lafayette is a quaint and charming area with plenty of diversity.
- You apply to the college and to a particular school
- If unsure, then apply to Exploratory Studies program
- Now takes the Common Application
- $60 application fee
- Require writing supplement and letter of recommendation
- Should apply by Nov. 1 for scholarships and honors college
- Need 4 years of English and Math
- They like to see AP courses
- Make a new GPA based on core classes
- The average GPA is 3.7
- Like to see good grades in relevant coursework. For example, students applying to College of Engineering should do well in Physics and Math in high school
- They do consider high school rank
- They do not superscore the ACT
- Essays and Letters of Recommendation are important
- The Nursing School is highly competitive to get into
College of Engineering
Purdue University’s College of Engineering is one of the premier Engineering institutions in the world. Known for high rankings, top faculty, amazing facilities, top students, famous alumni, reasonable tuition, and so many opportunities right out of school.They offer a First-Year Engineering Program, which is the entry point for all beginning engineering students.
All engineering students at Purdue must complete the first-year engineering requirements before entering the engineering school of their choice. This core curriculum includes courses in math, chemistry, physics, computer programming, and communication skills, as well as introductory engineering coursework.
- 57% male, 43% female
- 58% Indiana residents
- 26% other U.S. states
- 16% other countries
- 14% minority domestic student population
- August, 2012, Princeton Review ranks Purdue at 14th for ‘best campus food’
- 900 organizations
- So much to offer socially, it’s hard to figure out what to do – very unique activities
- Students are good kids – normal – not preppy and all involved in giving back
- Hillel on campus
- Brand new recreation and sports center – very nice!
- Loads of school spirit – tailgating is huge